Coronavirus has upended the life we took for granted, and none more so than how we holiday. With travelling abroad being steeped in legislative ambiguity, not to mention posing as a potential health risk, the current climate has paved the way for the rise of what’s been coined as the ‘staycation’.
Holiday accommodation is in high demand as people choose to visit the many beauty spots, vibrant cities, and cultural and historical sites the UK is blessed with.
From Airbnb properties in the city to lakeside wooden chalets, sophisticated glamping to cottage lets in the countryside, holiday accommodation has become extremely sought-after in Britain. As holiday lets are such a competitive business venture in the current landscape, owners of such property need to think carefully about insurance.
This is where ABACUS Holiday Home product steps in. The UK holiday homes product offers brokers immediate online access to a panel of insurers for UK holiday home property risks at exclusively agreed rates.
The risk types available include:
- Holiday Lets
- Second Homes
The package cover includes:
- Full standard perils
- Accidental damage (optional)
- Subsidence, ground heave or landslip (unless specifically excluded at quotation stage)
- Property owners’ liability £2,000,000
- Loss of rent or alternative accommodation (up to 33.33% of the building sum insured)
- Contents cover (optional)
- £100 excess increasing to £500 in respect of escape of water and £1,000 in respect of subsidence
Cover for unoccupied periods
Full standard perils apply subject to:
- The water being turned off at the mains and all tanks and pipes being drained, or the central heating system being in continuous operation to maintain a minimum temperature of 59 degrees Fahrenheit / 15 degrees Celsius at all times
- Property being secured
- £250 excess increasing to £500 in respect of escape of water and £1,000 in respect of subsidence. Escape of water excess increases to £1,000 when the holiday home is unoccupied
ABACUS can also look at non-standard holiday lets and second homes that fall into a “greyer” area such as Airbnb, wooden lodges and glamping.
With staycation demand reaching unprecedented levels, which looks likely to replace long-haul foreign holiday destinations in the foreseeable future, it’s interesting to explore some of the regions in Britain that are in highest staycation demand.
A recent article* revealed statistics on the most sought-after locations in the UK for holiday homes. Some of its key findings include:
- Wales accounts for 15.35% of all holiday homes in the UK
- Cornwall is hot on its heels with 12.82%
- Scotland stands at 9.30%
- Devon at 8.39%
- North Yorkshire at 8.13%.
As notable as these established favourites are, the up and coming hotspots - County Durham, Wiltshire, East Yorkshire, Cumbria, and Suffolk - have all registered significant increases in popularity as locations for UK holiday homes.
For further information about Holiday Home and Second Homes insurance from ABACUS, please speak to your Blink IS Business Development Manager or click here.
Full underwriting terms and conditions apply, please ensure that all of the contractual documentation is read and understood prior to use. This facility is provided by ABACUS (Alan Blunden & Company Underwriting Schemes) which is a division of Alan Blunden & Co Ltd which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority No: 309694 and underwritten by a panel of insurers.
Access to this facility is subject to approval by the product provider only. Blink Intermediary Solutions is not part of the approval process and is not the product manufacturer. Some products/facilities are not available in all territories. The intended recipients of this content are UK FCA-regulated insurance brokers. Full details of FCA authorisations can be found at www.fca.org.uk. This information is correct at the time of production, but may be subject to change.